.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the power of a name.  I spend so much time talking to my friends on skype.  We’re almost constantly connected.  From the time I turn on my computer to the time I turn it off at night, I am talking to someone.  It struck me the other day that I hardly ever hear (or rather read) my name.

We are conditioned to love hearing our name.  So much so, in fact, that our brain rewards us for just hearing the syllables that we use to identify ourselves.  And yet I’m surprised and happy every time I read the six letters of my name typed by someone else.

Why don’t we use our names more often?  Maybe we feel like it’s weird to continue to say the names of people we’ve known for months or years.  Maybe we feel like they should know that we know who they are by now.  But it doesn’t hurt to remind them occasionally.

I guess what I’m really saying is say my name, say my name.

Comments

  1. Oh hello, Amanda. ;) I totally know what you mean. Somehow, using someone's name when speaking to them seems to make a conversation so much more personalized and meaningful. Even respectful, like you're really listening to them. Or like a text message using someone's name lets them know it's not just a text message sent to ten other people. It's the little things, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Re-decorating for Finals

Oh, hi there!