We are Intimate Strangers

I am on a bus right now. What an interesting transient community. I am sitting next to someone who has lived at the same university as me for two and a half months. We have never met. Isn't that peculiar? 

I was thinking of that earlier. Last Friday as I was leaving my Chemistry lab at around 5:00, one of my classmates was heading in the same direction as I was. We walked together, exchanging casual remarks about the weather and music and our lives. I'd never met him before. I'm not sure I would have been able to pick him out as a Brandeis student in a crowd. But we just kept talking and it was nice. 

Our paths were about to split when I realized I had no idea what his name was. We yelled introductions as our paths diverged. It was a backwards sort of friendship. I didn't see him again all week, until the next lab. It turns out we've been in the same lab group for two and a half months now. Even then, I didn't talk to him during that lab. We left at different times. We might never have one of those conversations again. It's a strange sort of intimacy, but one I'm okay with. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Re-decorating for Finals

Oh, hi there!